Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Monday Musings

Thank god I am no one's parent.  I would be a dinosaur - a has-been, locked up for providing (aka forcing) order.  I wouldn't pass the test, as I feel structure is a GOOD thing.  After spending TWO days with my handyman's daughter, I went in and hugged my dogs until their eyes bulged.  Don't get me wrong - I have met kids that are delightful to be around.  Just not any around here. 

When it works not only on paper...woot!
I sweated bullets all week, waiting to hear from my handyman.  Communication is not one of his strong points.  I finally called him on Friday - one of those fish-or-cut-bait calls.  I was assured up, down and sideways that he would arrive at 9A to complete Duck House #1 (three weeks late) and build (and finish) Duck House #2.  He arrived at 12:30 with both his kids.  His son (helper) spent 90% of his time fiddling with his phone.  His daughter (not a helper) followed me within six inches (much too much in my personal space) talked constantly and required 24/7 supervision.  By me. 

171 - to a neighbor
If I turned my back on her - she was someplace I had asked her not to go.  My plans - formulated in the heady early hours of Saturday - were to spend Saturday on all things outside.  Sunday was for all things inside.  Monday would be for falling to pieces getting my BBQ ready.  Needless to say, nothing got done outside on Saturday.  HM did NOT complete either #1 and #2 because he RAN OUT OF TIME.  I, of course, was so relieved that he was taking his kids away, I did not complain.  Much.  He assured me he would return Sunday - without kids - to finish both houses.  I felt fairly confident, as he had left his sawhorses - owned by his employer.

172-173 on Freecycle
Shall we wait for the other shoe to drop?  Good news?  He did arrive, and only a half hour late.  Bad news?  With his daughter.  Sigh.  I tried to stay inside and work on my list, but the peeps of panic emanating from the back yard had me popping in and out the entire time they were there.  The last straw was the frantic peeping of one of my middies being pursued across the yard by the daughter.  She had, after I said very clearly and firmly not to touch anything living, fished out one of the little Cayugas and then dropped him.  I snapped.  I told her he was NOT brave for "jumping" out of her hands.  He was terrified.  I ordered her to stop chasing him and to leave the yard.  I let it calm down and make its way back to the rest of them, then very gingerly opened the door of the pen and it gratefully ran inside.  All this time, her father studiously ignored what was going on.


174 - Freecycle no-show
I was steamed.  Under most circumstances, I would have rounded up his hours and paid him over the actual hours he worked.  I did not.  While I appreciated the overall quality of the end product, he was unreliable, uncommunicative, unorganized (thank god I have a lot of tools) and kept bringing his damn kids.  Will I use him again?  Possibly in the fall on a simple framing project, when I have had enough time to forget how frustrated I am at this moment.  But only if he a) calls if he's delayed and b) does not bring either of his kids.  Pfft.

175-181 and 182-185 and 186-193
The family/friends BBQ turned out great - my sister is so amazing - and a good time was had by all.  As a matter of fact, she and I practically had to push them out the door.  I managed to get everything cleaned up (using a minimal amount of water - still no measurable rain) and staggered around until 9.  Then went off, bleary-eyed, to bed with the sounds of three dogs snoring loudly in background.




17 comments:

Casa Mariposa said...

I'd never use him again!! What a turd.

Sue said...

I'm so sorry that happened. I feel your pain. Thank god it's done. And no matter how good of a job he did, it's not worth that kind of hassle.Don't even consider using that one again. There has to be someone else!!! Cripes, just reading this got my blood pressure up...........

Joy said...

We must have the same handyman. A guy we hired last year did the exact same thing, always late or a no-show, and then usually bringing his 4-yr old son. We don't have outside animals the kid could abuse, but it was a great relief when the project was done. Don't expect to hire him again. We never figured out how to make sure he'd communicate if delayed - I hope you have a better handle on that than we did. Good luck!

Acorn to Oak said...

I was feeling steamed right along with you as I read about the handyman bringing his kids. How unprofessional and annoying! Glad you saw some progress though!

Mama Pea said...

Oh. Oh! OH! I was right along with Sue, with my blood pressure going up as I read about your irresponsible handyman and his kids. How totally, utterly unprofessional! I am not sure I would have been able to hold my tongue while I was required to babysit his daughter. Do not hire him again. That, in my mind, would be encouraging totally unacceptable behavior. I am sending Papa Pea to do the work you need done. And if he brings his daughter, she will work right along with him and not require your precious time supervising ridiculous behavior. Must end this now as the steam is starting to come out of my ears.

Susan said...

I am between a rock and a rock, as he is the husband of my neighbor's granddaughter. But I am not using him again.

Susan said...

Sue - I've already put feelers out for someone else. I think I have a line on a reliable (and reasonable) guy. Luckily, I don't have any pressing problems - except my roof.

Susan said...

Joy - Lord. A 4 y/o would have driven me to drink my breakfast. At least his daughter was 13. Going on 4.

Susan said...

ATO - I'll have to post pictures of the "Duck Village". It turned out well in spite of all the ruckus.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - YOU have to come, too! I need someone to hold my hand (and share the wine)...heehee. It's frustrating because he is talented and a nice guy. But his personal life is a train wreck.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i would have killed all of them!

Fiona said...

Oh gosh I know the feeling. It is sad so few children understand animals or understand boundaries anymore. I look forward to the duck village pics!

I was processing apples today and my "Help" ate the bits I dropped and kept a turkey commentary as I worked!

Michelle said...

What blows my mind is how he didn't at least BACK YOU UP when you corrected Daughter's behavior! It would be SO tempting to tell him that his wages were being reduced by the hourly babysitting fee.... My son is far from perfect, but I ride his, um, derriere, and back up anyone else who feels the need to correct him!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sheesh! I understand your frustration!

Tyche's Minder said...

Wow. Trying to imagine what I would do it that situation. There are so many ways for an unsupervised kid to get in trouble here, I'm tempted to say I'd send them packing. But, knowing how hard it is to get a handyman/helper, I'm afraid I'd just end up losing my day to babysitting too. That sucks.

Susan said...

I would have had that 13 yr old working her buns off for me, chicken manure comes to mind. I would inform handyman of the new arrangement for next time-she works or she sits in the car.

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

You have more patience than I. The young lady would have been in tears begging her DADDY to go home. LOL.....I'm not a mean person however when I tell you to leave certain things/animals alone, I expect you to do so. Besides, the young lady wouldn't want my husband a former first sergeant in the military to fire off rules and regulations like in basic training......LOL

I'm happy to hear your BBQ went well.