Pages

Monday, July 6, 2015

My spot in the Universe.



When I drive most places, I always take the back roads.  I abhor highways, main roads and all things with too many vehicles on them.  This is on the back road to Vermont - right at the border.  I love this view - any season.  Rolling hills, low mountains, green, verdant farms.  I took these on Friday, with low, grey clouds lurking overhead.  It did turn out to be a fairly decent day - I had blissfully ignored the forecast for the Fourth, thinking that, oh, it didn't mind that I was spending most of my day off driving, as there was ALWAYS tomorrow for catching up on the list that never ends.  Ha.  It poured all day long.  I did my laundry (figuring it had to stop raining sometime), cleaned both bathrooms, vacuumed, sorted, vacuumed some more.  I baked GF brownies.  I made Quinoa Patties (they were and are to die for), I made two batches of broccoli salad.  I sorted through the Nuggets to put together the order for my friend Patty who, at the last minute could not pick them up.  I spent a great deal of time and creative smooshing to get them in my freezer.  I mitched and boaned.  I brushed the dogs.  It finally stopped raining around 4, so I squelshed outside and hung up my laundry, did chores and drove up the mountain to a Fourth of July party at a camp on a little lake.  I left before the fireworks so that I could get home and minister to any shaking dogs, but everyone was pretty mellow.  I think Scrappy's hearing is getting worse as he gets older.  Either that, or he has very selective deafness.

Sunday morning, bright and early, I trotted out to do chores, load trash and recycling in my car, and managed to squeeze in some weeding before heading back to VT for my BIL's retirement cookout.  By the time I got home, I had just enough energy to finish weeding the lettuce bed, plant another batch, plant two of my five perennials, take laundry off the line, walk the dogs, feed same, do chores, and collapse.  I decided not to torture myself by looking at everything I did not get done on my list.  There's always tomorrow, right?  But...wait.  There's that pesky job....

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

What beautiful countryside you get to travel through on your weekend sojourns! Thanks for sharing the pics so all the rest of us can travel with you vicariously.

As usual, it seems to me you got a mountain of stuff done even though you were gone much of the weekend. And, oh yeah, the rains that didn't cooperate. Sometimes we need the bad outside weather to force us to get going on those always waiting inside jobs.

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to see that very same picture in October - I bet its stunning!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i sty as far away from major highways as possible. they are SO boring. teddy's hearing is either not so good or extremely selective. just when i think she is deaf, she shows me that she hears just fine...and just what she wants to hear!

Sue said...

Backroads are THE BEST!
You get more done in a day than most could hope for in a week. Do you even POSSESS and off switch???????

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Gorgeous view, now this is a place where I could live.
No one around you, mountains beside you......yep.......a piece of heaven :-)

It sounds to me your holiday weekend was very busy, and successful with doing chores. What's next on your to do list?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You wore me out somewhere in the middle of the first paragraph. You need a break girl!

Denise said...

Doggone pesky jobs always get in the way don't they

Janice Grinyer said...

The lists get longer every year we get older. Thank Gawd Im feral and know when to drop everything to have a good time - sounds like you do too! xox