Pages

Monday, December 8, 2014

Inspiration! Inspiration? Where art thou?

Or, Monday Musings gone all whiny-like.

I am wallowing in the too-little-daylight blues.  I really do need to give myself a swift kick in the tush, but I'm not as limber as I used to be.  I have sat down four times to compose a pithy post, only to stare, blankly, at the screen.  The only reason I'm typing now, is that I'm at work (please don't rat me out) and trying to appear bustling.  Sometimes the only way to get through writer's block is to force your way through.

I had thought about borrowing Tami's ploy and posting the alphabet.  I thought I would start in reverse order, though, because that is more my style.  Back-ass-wards.  The only thing I could come up with for Z, however, was zebra.  When I was a tot, I had a stuffed zebra that I named Eeyore.  Yes, yes, I know that Eeyore was a donkey without a tail, but the beauty of being a child is that there are no boundaries as far as your imagination goes.  Why do we lose so much of that when we are older?  I also had a doll named Poor Pitiful Pearl.  It was supposed to be a homely doll, but I thought she was spunky and beautiful.  Too bad I don't still have her, as I'm sure she'd be a valuable relic by now.  As much as I loved my PPP, I had nothing but disdain for my Barbies.

While the "Z" has given me a little pep in the writing department, I doubt if I will continue on.  I chafe at restrictions (including restrictive jeans...snort).  The weekend was pretty much on a par with all weekends, with the exception of getting to stand on tall ladders in gale force, arctic winds trying to attach another tarp to my fuel tank enclosure.  Gee, that was fun.  I did get a smidgen more in the holiday mood when I put up my parents' cute little tree.  They have always had a fresh tree - with the rare exception of last year.  We will give it a week to relax, and my dad will take his time putting the lights on.  As he grows older (92 and counting), he becomes more focused on individual tasks.  Sort of like obsessive.  So, I am sure the lights will be perfectly placed and evenly spaced.

Sunday morning, I had my early birthday breakfast with my friend, Maggie.  She is my oldest friend up here.  I have known her 15 years.  I always look forward to spending time with her - she is one of those people who make you feel lighter and happier after spending 15 minutes in their presence.  I also like this type of birthday celebration.  I return the favor for her birthday - a win-win, win-win.  Then I came home and roasted a pie pumpkin and made peanut butter pumpkin dog biscuits.  Once I was nice and warm, I forced myself outside to schlep 100# of chicken feed to their bin and wrestle with the aforementioned tarp.  I have long ago resigned myself to having to do jobs, no matter what the weather, since I usually have only one day to do them.  And Ma Nature can be a tough broad with a quirky sense of humor.

The sheep got three pumpkins (frozen/thawed/frozen/thawed) and were very happy.  Norman has gotten over his fear of pumpkins and can gnaw them down with the best of them.  I begrudgingly put up outdoor holiday lights - but only because I can't see from the garage to the front door at night.  It sure ain't because I'm in the mood...I did, however, put up my twinkly lights across the mantelpiece and that always mellows me out.

By golly, I wrote a whole post!  Of drivel, however....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

About the too-little-daylight lament, I'm counting the days till the Winter Solstice. The ancients knew what they were doing in celebrating the start of the sun's return.

Susan said...

There has to be some karmic law explaining why the most difficult of tasks end up being done in foul weather. No wonder we need our twinkly lights to get us through. Tip: they twinkle even more after a good shot of something restorative.

Susan said...

Carol - That makes two of us. I keep thinking, "if I can just make it to December 21..."

Susan said...

Susan - You better believe there is more twinkle in the twinkle lights with the addition of some golden rum in the eggnog!

Mama Pea said...

Worry thee not about writing what you call drivel. It's always interesting (along with providing a laugh or two) to me. Drivel on, I say, drivel on!

Sounds like we were both fighting with tarps this past weekend in blowsy weather. I was so eager to get one section tied securely down before the wind snatched it out of my frozen fingers (again) that the mighyt tug I gave it done ripped the grommet clean out. Sigh. (Must remember not to use so much of my brute strength.)

'Tis now 3:06 p.m. and I honestly feel like I haven't started my day yet . . . and it will be dark in 75 more minutes. I do believe the days this pre-winter solstice are shorter than they've ever been.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Yes, we are mighty homestead women! I have a pair of quick release clamps that I couldn't live without. They're like having another pair of hands. But it sure was frustrating, running from side to side, trying to tie down the ends as the wind whipped away. I said some bad words...

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i could live in a cave. i love the dark. i feel wrapped in warmth by it. i hate sun. okay..i am weird.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday, and yes ma nature is pesky...

Joy said...

I recommend some vitamin D. My Dr suggested that for my Dark Days Blues, and I do believe it has helped. 1000 mg per day. And I was happy to read your post as always. Thanks for brightening my day.

Susan said...

Joy - I do take D3 daily. I usually run pretty low on it naturally this time of year. It makes a difference! You are so welcome - and thank you for reading my drivel.... :)

Susan said...

Nancy - Thank you - it's not for a while yet, but she wasn't going to be around closer so we moved it up!

Carolyn said...

A Post is a Post! And your drivel is quite amusing.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Drivel??? Huh???? Like Carolyn says, a post is a post! Better than I'm doing these days. :(