Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Well, the ocean's blue, ain't it?

Being frugal and prone to use every last scrap of everything can have interesting consequences.  Besides being way ahead of the gourmands on the fusion front, it can lead to rather spectacular results.  Take my dinner last night.

I had made a paella-like dish for my sister on Wednesday night, not wanting anything remotely close to turkey.  I had leftover mussels, clams, clam juice and a nice piece of cod in the freezer.  Perfecto!  I would make seafood chowder for dinner!

Rummaging in my vege bin, I found white and purple carrots and a half an onion.  In my root cellar aka the guest room closet, I found potatoes and garlic.  All set.  I set about dicing and chopping and threw it all in a pan with the broth and then snuck in some knitting while it all simmered.  Once the vege was tender, I tossed in the cod and shellfish and stood in wonder as it turned blue.  Wow. Obviously, the purple carrots had worked their magic.  I added a little milk and it turned a lovely shade of blue-lilac.

The photograph doesn't do it justice.

While I thoroughly enjoyed both the flavor and color, I was also glad I didn't have company for dinner.

This also brought back a memory of fixing dinner for my parents when I was a twenty-something.  I wanted to create an elegant and memorable meal, so I made Cornish hens stuffed with rice, sultanas and pistachios.  Unfortunately, I used the red pistachios and the subsequent stuffing was a lovely but shocking shade of pink.  My mother was quite gracious about it....

10 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Who says we shouldn't eat anything blue? Reminds me of a guy I know who won't eat anything green. Now there's a real problem for you!!

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Why, that's un-American! Then, again, my father would never touch mustard, mayo or ketchup. And he had NEVER eaten them. Go figure...

jaz@octoberfarm said...

as soon as i saw purple carrots i thought, blue stew!

Unknown said...

Hey, as long as it tastes good!

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Eating blue stuff is a good thing......that is until your entire body turns blue, lol......
We try not to waste any leftovers in our home. So my guys know to watch out for strange meals every 4 to 5 days.

Susan said...

Jaz - I should have rung you up before starting.... :)

Susan said...

Nancy - Exactly! It was good!

Susan said...

Sandy - Heehee - that would be something to talk about in the office on Monday, wouldn't it? I like to think that we are 'creative' with our food... :)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I am sure your Mom was thrilled that someone was doing the cooking no matter what colour it turned out:) Hug B

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I think I remember something like this happening in Bridget Jones only it was because she left some colorful string in her cooking pot - at least your blue had a natural origin!