Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Making do and embracing the odd.

The hours of 4A-6A are prime knitting time for me.  I always wake up alert and in a good mood.  I am that perky-in-the-morning person that drives people crazy.  I do not, however, make good conversation before my first cup of...tea.  It's good enough for the cats and dog, but limited on a human-to-human level.

After knitting my short row cowl, I decided to tackle a more complicated (cable-wise) pair of mittens, as I reckoned I had enough yarn left for a pair.

Or not.


I liked the pattern (free on Ravelry - Eugenia's Mittens) and they are nice and toasty and have a longer cuff that keeps drafts out.  As I realized I did not have enough yarn for the pair, I went rooting around in my giant, disorganized stash and came up with a close facsimile - weight-wise.  I have decided that I love them - odd or not, perfect...or not.  They are, after all, barn mittens.  I am sure that they will be weekend-out-doing-errands mittens as well.  I embrace their oddness!

14 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, look at the cute acorn mitten! ;-) Late night is my prime knitting time, although it probably shouldn't be….

Mama Pea said...

I think they are just lovely! And you sure have the cable thing down pat. Short rows, cables . . . what next?

DFW said...

Just lovely. I want to add knitting to my bucket list but just don't think there is enough time in my life span to learn that along with cheese making, bread making & continuing to start various types of plants to the list. Along with canning & preserving all types of food.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I LOVE the quirky part of knitting and that is a great pattern I have no tackled mittens yet I seem to be addicted to quirky hats at this time:) Take care. Hug B

Sarah said...

I think they're great fun! Go you! :)

Carolyn said...

I think you should start a new fashion trend, although you'll need some fancy-pants name for it. And then charge an absurd amount of money for it. How about the "I ran out of yarn so this is what you get" line of mittens? Matching cowls and scarfs too!
I LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Love the mismatched pair!

Fiona said...

You will always be able to tell right from left with these very neat mittens!

Tami said...

Cute Mitts! I hear on that "perky in the morning" thing. Me too.

Susan said...

I love them. They have just the right amount of quirky.

Sandy Livesay said...

DFW,

I want to add knitting too!!!

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Your mittens are gorgeous, I love the color combination.

Enjoy the early morning time and quiet to accomplish those things you love.

Unknown said...

Cute!

LindaCO said...

Almost too nice to be barn mittens! Lovely cables.