Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

I'm not afraid of no short rows....

It only took me most of my adult life to be able to say that.  Much like cables, I would find a pattern that I loved, look at the directions and see "short rows".  My mind would then go:  "OMG! Short?  Row? Whazat? Parlez-vous francais?  Sprechen sie Deutsch?  Habla usted Espanol?  Greek?!  Latin?!  Gah!!!  I think I'll knit a dishcloth!"  Thanks to my friend, Melanie, I overcame my unreasonable fear of cables and went on to knit cabled headbands to the point where friends fled upon seeing me approach with my knitting bag.

Short rows, however, continued to fill me with about as much affection as I felt for dentists and Calculus.  Until this winter.  I pulled up my Big Girl Panties, got my yarn out, found a pattern I loved, and did what any other knitter with the backbone of damp spaghetti and the mind and focus of a fevered fruit fly would do.  I looked it up on YouTube.  It helped a bit, but my fear kept pitty-patting back to the frontal lobe and I kept getting stymied.  Then I found a good tutorial with detailed pictures, printed every single one out, put them in order and inched my way through my first wrap knitwise, wrap purlwise, pick up wrap, etc.  You would think I was scaling Mt. Everest.  Geez.

This was the perfect pattern for it, because you had to do short rows FOREVER.  By the time I was finished with them, I was knitting short rows in my sleep.  I am hoping that this turns out looking somewhat like the original here.  Or at least like its fifth cousin distantly removed.




14 comments:

Fiona said...

Being a self taught knitter...I live in fear of all those abbreviations.....I saw the most beautiful Icelandic sweater pattern though and now I am having an urge... can I knit on round needles, can I do the sleeves...can I join them together? I may have to have a Buttleripple schnapps hot chocolate before I decide! I am so glad your brave!

Susan said...

Fiona - I think I need to know what a Buttleripple schnapps is and where I can find one! I have yet to try anything with more than one color. That's my next scary step...

Mama Pea said...

I think you could do ANYTHING you put your mind to! You have just the right amount of . . . let's see, how to say this so it sounds like a compliment . . . stubbornness? Bullheadedness? (No, that's me.) How 'bout tenacity? Persistency? (Is that a word?) Perseverance? Yeah, that's more like it. You can do anything you want to do, girlie.

By the way, gorgeous cowl!

Charade said...

I love that little bandana cowl, but not quite enough to brave short rows - my adrenalin is saying "Flight!" at the very thought of them. I had the same feeling about cables until I ran across this sweet little cabled shrug

http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/popup.php?i=/dadabik/uploads/AspenCowlLg.jpg

and just knew it would be a perfect gift for my daughter and daughter-in-law. I tip my hat to your bravery.

LindaCO said...

Yea! I like that there usually seems to be a knitting project out there that's at a level just a little bit up from where one is. Good for you! That's lovely yarn, too.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I cannot do cables yet but You Tube is amazing to learn things gotta love that:) Hug B

Candy C. said...

I'm usually not a big fan of cowls but that is really cute! Can't wait to see it all finished! :)
P.S. I'm not even sure what a short row is and I have been knitting for years. LOL!!

Fiona said...

Butter Ripple Schnaaps is a Butterscotch liqueur, I treat myself to now and then. Mixed in Hot chocolate it makes a decadent hot drink to be enjoyed on days where things are just needing a treat. I rarely drink liquor but this is like dessert? Yes I am bad. It is also good in coffee.

It is made by Phillips, it should be available in most Liquor stores. It lasts forever!

Susan said...

Oh, Fiona! I'm doomed!!! :)

Susan said...

Mama Pea - There used to be a day when I would have agreed with you. Now? Mmmm, not so much. But I am bullheaded/stubborn/tenacious. Sound familiar?? Thank you - it turned out great! It may be on my gift list for next year. Friends beware...

Susan said...

Charade - What a darling shrug! I had to laugh at the "flight" response -- so true!

Susan said...

Linda - I wish I could remember where I got that yarn. It is homespun, so I probably have had it for a while. I hate to admit that my stash is so great that most of its origin defies memory...

Susan said...

Buttons - I foresee a cabled, wonderful, artistic, one-of-a-kind hat in your future... :)

Susan said...

Candy - I thought the same thing. Usually cowls on me remind me of the Great Tortoises of the Galapagos. This one, however, makes me feel like a warm cowgirl... :)