Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Well, well, well.

I was going to title this post "An Unfortunate Series of Events", but I believe that has already been done.  I do remember saying to myself, "Pollyanna, you know, 2014 is going to be the BEST YEAR EVER.  You just wait and see.  A year of new adventures, 'firsts', promise, hope, whoop de freakin do."  Okay, I did add that last bit in just recently.  Just now.

Here is my year to date, all 22 days of it, in one, long, run-on sentence, just to take some of the sting out of it:  major car repairs; frozen pipes; fuel oil tank repair; plumbing repairs; sick hen; lame sheep; first flu from hell in over 15 years; pink eye - another first; dead car; major towing bill; foster failure in a bad way.

Yes, besides contracting an influenza virus (bacterial based - is that possible?) which has also led to incurring pink eye for the first time EVER, and having to be out of the office using more sick days than I've accrued (another first), on my way home from the doctor/pharmacist, I was driving down the main road towards home when - BANG - went my car.  All the indicator lights went on, the engine made non-engine sounds, and I managed to get it off to the side of the road before it died.  And did I mention that the temperature WITHOUT wind chill was -11?  So I sat for a bit and laughed because why the heck not at this point?  As I was dialing up AAA, a very nice man pulled over to help.  When we popped the hood, it was obvious that something had broken - probably a belt - which had then ripped off a hose and the entire inside of the engine was covered in oil.  My Good Samaritan gave me a ride all the way home, where I called AAA from the warm comfort of home.  And discovered that Lucy had counter surfed her way across all surfaces, destroying most of my cache of Emergen-C, devouring an entire stick of butter, shredding boxes, knocking anything loose to the floor.  That, combined with another cat incident last night, made me realize that ours was not the right home.  I have no way of keeping her out of the kitchen.  I know I won't remember to keep my counters completely empty.  And I won't always be there to intervene vis a vis Lucy and the cats.  It is very sad, because she is a dear and we were making strides.  But she needs more supervision than I can give her and she needs to be in a cat-free home.

Let me see.  What is the upside to all of this....hmmmm.  Hmmmmmm.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Okay, here goes:  there was a good Samaritan who came to my aid and kept me from freezing solid in my car! AAA can tow the car to my mechanic in Bennington, as it appears to be JUST inside of their tow limit of 25 miles!  I get the first three of those 25 miles FREE.  It will only cost me under $100 for the rest of the tow!  It appears that I managed to battle my way through the flu without having to take antibiotics!  And it only took me a little over a week!  There may be a chance they can fix my car without my needing to find one to use for the rest of the week!  Maybe!  I have to stop now!  I've used up all my exclamation points!!!

(P.S.  I don't know how the damn ad got on my blog, but I don't sponsor them, or them me, or want them anywhere near me.  If you know how to get rid of them, do tell...)

15 comments:

Akannie said...

Aw, kiddo...sorry you got so sick. and all the other crap. But just think--maybe now you've filled your quota and can sail through the rest of the year. (yeah, right!) lol

There has been so much crap going around. So far (knock wood) I haven't gotten it. I'm attributing it to ginger and garlic. And washing my hands about a trillion times a day.

Akannie said...

PLus-- AD?? What ad ?? lol

Mama Pea said...

I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding Lucy. She's such a needy little (okay, big) character that she does need someone who can watch her like the proverbial hawk all the time to try to instill better manners in her hairy head. I'll give unwanted advice here and say you take on too much for a gal with a full-time job involving a long commute each way and lots of other critters depending on you for their care, love and attention. Wearing out rather than rusting out may be a good way to go, but you're pushing your warranty, dear lady. You're the one who needs the special attention and better care right now. Glad to hear you are feeling a little better, but take care so that you don't fall on your tush (figuratively speaking) and take two big steps back in your recovery. Sending hugs.

P.S. What ad?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sickness is all around. Hubby was diagnosed with walking pneumonia today. Get well, and hopefully things will get better soon.

DFW said...

Wow, just wow. Maybe you've getting rid of all the bad stuff at one time, in just a few days? I don't see an Ad either.

Candy C. said...

I'm sure taking Lucy back will be the best thing for her and especially for you and your other critters! That sucks about the car but the good Samaritan coming along is really nice. I'm glad you are feeling better but listen to your Mama Pea and don't try to do too much too quickly.
P.S. I don't see an ad either. Hmmmm...

Tami said...

Uh Oh....

Never shake your fist at the heavens and said "By Golly, I'm gonna have the best {insert desire here} ever!"

It just pisses the universe off...Or that's how it always seems to me.

Signed
A Reformed Fist Shaker

Tombstone Livestock said...

Hope you got rid of all the bad Karma for the rest of the year. I uped my AAA membership to the Premier .... 200 mile tow years ago, figured no matter where I was in this state I would know someone in a 200 mile radius to tow too. Take care, sending you good luck from now on.

Carolyn said...

Wow, I'm tired from reading that. I agree with MamaPea (and will blame HER for nagging you). Hopefully all critters will be able to calm down once Lucci finds a more suitable place, sans cats.

Unknown said...

I'm feeling for you- I had foot surgery last summer, our furnace AC died, etc. I've got some more medical stuff to deal with that may be very hindering to my doing my job. I also lost my amazingly wonderful boss. Not sure how the new one will work out. It seems like it never ends. Good for you releasing your dog, you have enough to deal with! Hope you feel better soon...

Fiona said...

Good Grief! You have had a go of it. Things do seem to run in "bunches" so hopefully this will be the end of it for a while. Do take care and I know your choice for Lucy is the right one. It is sad she cannot be left alone safely! Now get fully recovered and be safe! God Bless You

Michelle said...

Listen to Mama; she's a wise woman.

I don't see an ad, either. It must have been a fever-induced hallucination, dear.

Cat Eye Cottage said...

Keep your chin up!

Fiona said...

Oh one simple tip for pink eye comfort....make yourself a cup of tea...use the teabag as a compress on the affected eye. As hot as you can bear. It feels wonderful! Showing cattle for ears I have contracted pink eye several time from my bovine acquaintances and this remedy told to me by a 97 year old neighbor was what her Mother had used when she caught pink eye from their milk cow. Her Mother made her a little muslin bag to hold the tea leaves.

SweetLand Farm said...

Ahh a doozie of a month for sure!
I understand the car troubles! ANd towing is insane! Glad you got 25 free miles though.
I looking forward to some warmer weather, I'm over the winter!