Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

What's been coming out of the kitchen.

I've been working on using up some of the overabundance that is my pantry/freezer/canning shelves.  Not only did I process the nuggets - 'tho not all for me, thank goodness - but I got a surprise infusion of pork.  Such problems to have....

I gleaned two good-sized cabbages from a neighbor and vowed to make sauerkraut this year.  But, not just plain ole sauerkraut.  Apple Pie Blueberry Sauerkraut!  I mean, why start with the basics?  I have no idea how this is going to taste, but I had:  Cabbages + Apples + 15 lbs of frozen Blueberries.  I took it as a sign from the Universe that I should whip this up.



I have a batch of hard cider burbling away, and the rhubarb wine was bottled and is resting six (sob) months.  The good thing about the wait is that I will have rhubarb ready to harvest for more - should this be drinkable.

On the menu for the weekly Big Lunch Cookoff was a Chicken Stew with Kale and White Beans.  I loved it, although it was not a one-pot meal - it actually dirtied quite a few trays, dishes and utensils, so it is on my Try It Again After a Long Period of Time so I Will Forget Its Complexity list.  I have managed to have it every day for lunch - today being the last day.  And I still like it.  Which is a good thing, as I have a lot of kale tucked away under the hoops.  Next week's BLC is looking like it will feature a slow braised beef with tomatoes and wine, served over polenta.  Oooh, baby. 

I'm working on some different side dishes for Thanksgiving.  I mean, there are millions of side dish recipes out there - why not try some?  One that's caught my eye is Carrot Mash.  It's mashed carrots with orange zest, mint, butter and cream.  There's not one bad thing in it.  Other than fat and cholesterol.  But who's counting?  I am sure I can remake it to be healthier, but I'm giving it its full-fat shot on the first try.  Another recipe that caught my attention is for gluten free pumpkin pie bars.  I'm bringing a mincemeat pie and I might just throw these in for the heck of it.

What's on everyone's menu for T'Day?  Anyone venturing out into unchartered territory?

11 comments:

Carolyn said...

Well, I wish I could say I was adventurous as you with the blueberry/cabbage cocoction, but I'm not. I would be terrified that I'd ruin the blueberries, which are my absolute favorite-est-ed fruit. We're eating out of the freezer/pantry, but much more boring toinght; roast chicken with roast veggies & something-or-other last minute side.

Mama Pea said...

You do such a GREAT job of cooking healthy, nutritious, delicious meals for yourself! (I am standing down here gazing up at you on the pedestal I've constructed for you. Truly.)

I'm with Carolyn . . . you've just ruined some perfectly good blueberries. (Kidding.)

Concerning Thanksgiving, yes, we are venturing out into unchartered territory. We are staying home, no guests (other than Chicken Mama, but she's not a guest . . . sorry, dear daughter) and I am shopping at our food co-op on Wednesday prior to the big day for organic meats for make-your-own-sandwiches and I'm also picking up two or three salads from their deli section. It's gonna be a totally laid back, relaxed, do nothing day for this cooker-lady. Wa-hoo!

Candy C. said...

I have never made polenta (or eaten it) but have been thinking about it recently. The beef over polenta sounds like something I defintely need to try.
Nothing fancy here for Thanksgiving. I think it's just gonna be hubby and I. There is some leftover turkey in the freezer and I will make some sides but that's about it!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Well we had our Thanksgiving last month but I surely do love hearing what you all will be feasting on and your carrot mash sounds good. Apple Pie Blueberry Sauerkraut I am excited even with just the name interesting indeed. Oh I do hope you have a wonderful time but I know it sounds delicious. B

Susan said...

Carolyn - If I didn't have so many blueberries in the freezer, I wouldn't be so wanton with them.... :)

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Oh, pshaw. YOU are the goddess of good food. I don't know how many of your recipes I have, er, stolen. Sounds like a perfectly perfect Thanksgiving! I am always so deflated at the end of a holiday - all the hoopla for just one day. Do I see your guilting room in your future?

Susan said...

Candy - You would LOVE polenta! And it is so fast and easy to make. Of course, I doctor mine up with butter and cheese (and garlic, if I am feeling wild).

Susan said...

Buttons! I will have to taste the sauerkraut soon - I get all these harebrained ideas and then put them in a safe place....to be forgotten....

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I need the rhubarb wine "how to" because I split and transplanted my rhubarb plants this fall and hope / expect to have plenty plenty of rhubarb next spring!

Thanksgiving - for a change I'm hosting it. If you can claim that when the guests are bringing the turkey and I'm only making all the sides and the desserts :)

Leigh said...

I love the cabbage, apple, blueberry idea! And I have plenty of blueberries in the freezer. Please do tell how this turns out!

Happily, I'm splitting Thanksgiving cooking with my son and daughter-in-law.

Susan said...

Our Thanksgiving was last month. We worked outside all day and I can't remember what we ate that night. For Christmas we are having duck instead of turkey. I have a good recipe which cuts down on the grease and leaves just the right amount of moisture in the meat. I use a savoury rub not the more usual orange sauce. I love the idea of the cook off. Even though we work from home, most of the time, it would be great to have something prepared. I go into town and the office once a weekish and I never have a lunch plan and then get mad at myself for having to buy something.