Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Lower that Limbo Bar!

No!  No!  Raise that limbo bar!  Nothing like a evening round of chase-the-sheep to pinpoint all the trouble spots on your anatomy.  I have had to face the fact that I am not as flexible as I used to be.  (Honestly, that is so darn funny, I cannot even tell you!)

I think it is safe to assume that Banyan is no longer lame.  If he is, I missed it in the blur that were his little legs as he flew around the paddock avoiding my grasp.   On Sunday, he could not put any pressure at all on his right rear leg.  On Monday, I called the vet and we negotiated an early morning appointment for yesterday.  If at all possible, I will transport my livestock TO the vet.  As we all know, as soon as their front tires are on your driveway, it's -- cha-ching! -- at least $60.

Sorry (I do say that alot, don't I?) but I feel compelled to zag off on a small rant.  This has to do with priorities.  Those of you with livestock know that having a good vet and a good relationship (as in paying your bill) with said vet is VERY important.  I would pay my vet before I paid my doctor.  I would pay my vet before I paid my mechanic.  I would pay my vet before I put fuel oil in my tank for winter.  Yet, there are some people - okay, one person I am ranting about - who screams holy hell, cries, wrings her hands, phones her vet at all hours, whines, winges, and overall carries on, gets the vet to race over with meds and help (this person has had to leave for work, thank you, and has made no arrangements for help to be there), then, when the emergency is over, says, Oh, I don't have any money.  I'll pay you in trade.  Which is also funny, as this person never pays her debts in any way - cash or trade.  This has happened twice to my vet with the same person.  I don't fault my vet ('tho I did warn her), as she is a caring person and feels she has a duty to care for a sick or injured animal.  And, unfortunately, lives down the road from the slacker.  This same slacker then posts about her new horse she had to buy, a trip to the MEN fair (complete with hotel, etc.), her new this, her new that.  Where are her priorities?  How dare she stiff her vet?

Okay.  I feel a little better.  If I haven't lost y'all by now, I'll zig back.

As soon as vet arrangements were made, Banyan made a fast recovery.  I do love it when that happens.  Then, this morning, as I let them out into their larger paddock, I was missing a lamb.  Acacia was nowhere to be seen.  I did hear her muffled maaaas, and eventually found her wedged behind the llama's hay feeder.  I don't know how long she had been there (not all night, for sure), but she couldn't get backed out.  I managed to contort myself into interesting positions and pull her out.  I then put her on my lap and rubbed some feeling back into her front legs, which were a little wobbly.   Then I closed all the gates and went inside and had another cup of coffee.  I considered "Irishing" it, but thought better of it.  A couple of ibuprofen and hidey-ho, off I go.  I keep telling myself this life I've chosen will keep me young.  Let's hope.

17 comments:

Michelle said...

I hear you, sister; I hear you....

Susan said...

Michelle - I can fall into bed pretty fast, but the getting up and out is a lot slower!

Anonymous said...

I hear you too, at almost 49 and a half. Been feeling like I can still go back in time if I just try....

Your rant caught my eye, because I did not have the info you have, but sensed it loud and clear between the lines about this new thing and that new thing and all the fund raising. But hey, it takes all kind of people to make the world go 'round.

Erin said...

The MEN fair? LOL..... I don't want to know! It seems we all know someone like this, rant away for all of us :)

Susan said...

Anonymous - True enough, but I do think that if you can't afford to take care of your livestock, you shouldn't have anything but goldfish. Ah, 49 and a half. I remember it fondly....LOL

Erin - Mother Earth News, girl! Heehee. I don't like to go off on a rant too often - 'tho it's tempting. I am homesteader - hear me rant!

Candy C. said...

Glad Banyan got better and Acacia was rescued! :)
I know what you mean about this life keeping us young (if it doesn't cripple us first)! LOL!!

judy said...

That poor vet,what does that other lady think this is 1600-you can pay in horse manure?you take such good care of your animals,don't you wish they could do that for you if you became ill-Banyan on hoofs traipsing through the house-your breakfast madam!lol

Susan said...

Candy - All that racing around is good C/V exercise - I just wish I could do my twists and turns faster than those little squirts.

Judy - I think, in this economic downturn, that you might be able to negotiate a little trading value (although, it's doubtful horse manure would do much for a livestock vet LOL). But it's only fair to be upfront about it and not spring it after the work has been done and medicines dispensed. I actually like the idea of trading services, etc.

Mama Pea said...

Re your little rant: I used to think the person you're referring to was a pretty smart cookie the way she was able to pull the wool over so many peoples' eyes. (Not honest, but smart in a not nice cunning way.) But the more I take in of the situation, she's coming across as really stoopid. She's not even wise enough to hide her selfishness, lack of responsibility and thoughtlessness of other people. What bothers me the most is the begging for money . . . after "luxuries" (that we all might like to have!) are purchased for herself. Okay, you pushed my button but I'm done now.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Ah, yes. In our case, ignorance is bliss, because knowing what's going on is bad for our blood pressure!

Carolyn said...

Hate slackers. Especially ones like "that", so go ahead and vent so it doesn't make you explode.

I have a local vet that doens't "do" livestock anymore, but will always take my calls and give me advice on what to do. Most valuable thing to have when you own livestock or animals is a good vet. Take CARE of them! She gets all my "pet" business and I make sure that bills are paid immediately (sometimes with a little extra for me being a pain). Fresh milk & eggs occasionally end up at her office & don't forget that Christmas is a great time to drop off some stuff at your vet's office!

Sue said...

Great post-it shows the importance of maintaining a GOOD relationship with those we depend on. Your vet sounds like a very caring person....but how long will this person be there if others don't pay? We need to support those vets that still care for farm animals---or they will be gone. There is already a shortage in my area. What a shame!

Susan said...

Carolyn - From the stories around here, the vet was usually asked in for lunch. I think that every little extra thing means a great deal. They have a very tough job.

Sue - Same around here. My vet is an hour away and most of the vets in her practice are women. It's a hard, physically taxing job, with long hours and little time off. And they have a long and expensive education in order to work those endless hours. We need to do everything we can to make sure they know they're appreciated.

Chicken Mama said...

I'm sooooo behind on reading blogs, and I'm still behind here. But, reading this post, I knew JUST who you must be talking about, so I went to check out her blog. Yup, it's that idiot again who has SO many people fooled. But, she can't fool the REAL HOMESTEADERS! Nope, WE know!!!! xoxoxoxoxo

Erin said...

ooooh is this drama LOL?!!!

Susan said...

CM - Yes, out there perpetuating bad information. Let's hope the collective lightbulb goes on before more people/animals suffer.

Erin - Oh, yes, more like melodrama, hehe.

The Apple Pie Gal said...

That makes me sad for your Vet, who is obviously a big heart! I hate when people take advantage of a big heart!!

And if I had to limbo, it'd be sure suicide.