Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I've been thrumming.

Don't you love that word?  It sounds like something you would do, standing out on your deck in the sunlight.  I had never heard of it before Melanie introduced me to thrummed mittens.  The answer to my cold-hand prayers.  So, armed with a nice wool worsted yarn from Webs, and a bag full of Flora's lanolin-laden fleece trimmings, I have been knitting away in the wee morning hours.  I have one done except for the thumb, and will start on the second one tomorrow morning.  I'll post pictures of my progress.  I am hoping that, like washing your car, knitting thrummed mittens will ensure that the temperature will rise and the snow will melt!  Dream on!

8 comments:

melanie said...

pictures! pictures! pictures!

Mama Pea said...

What the heck are thrummed mittens? I'm totally in the dark here so enlighten me. What if it's something I can't live without??n And I have been? HELP!

Susan said...

Melanie - yes ma'am. I will take some and post tomorrow.

Mama Pea - They are like big, pouffy clown mittens! As you knit your basic mitten (in my case), you use a crochet hook to attach a bit of fleece on the inside of the mitten. It is looped around a stitch on the right side, and is in all of its fluffy-ness on the inside. When you pull on your mittens, your hands are encased in a nice warm layer of fleece. I will post a picture of mine tomorrow.

Erin said...

yes, photos! Fleecy knitted mittens, sounds delightful!

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

I was like Mama Pea, never heard of Thrummed mittens, but now that I know what they are, why have I never heard of them? And why do I not have a pair in every color. And thrummed socks, maybe a thrummed sweater. I too can not wait for the pictures.

Susan said...

Jane - Thrummed socks!!! What a glorious idea! I was planning on knitting some sock slippers for Christmas gifts - maybe they will include thrumming...

Mama Pea said...

Hey, Jane, how 'bout thrummed jammies? Sounds delightful! (My husband wouldn't be able to tell me from a pillow.)

Susan said...

Why stop there? Let's thrum the world! It would be a kinder, warmer place...